Monday 26 May 2014

Brugse Zot

Brewery: De Halve Maan
Supplier: Gift from my sister and her husband

This is their original Townbeer, that I mentioned when reviewing Brugse Zot Dubbel. This uses a total of four different malts and two different hops. I served this at room temperature.
Appearance: An amber-gold colour, with a white head that lasts for a long time.
Aroma: Citrus, grapes, and a smell that I associate with really good lagers. 
Flavour: Grapes and citrus again but a lot smoother and with hints of Belgian spices.
Body: A nice thick body, unexpected but delightful and smooth. Dry on the back.
Aftertaste: There is a large pilsner malt flavour coupled with a slight tart rubber taste that is common in Belgian beers. There are also some green notes with drinking.

Overall: Therefore this gets a rating of 8, but only just. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian beers, but this is probably my favorite so far (bar some of the Belgian IPAs).

Price Range:  I don't know the price as it was a birthday present, but it would be worth the price you would pay for any trappist beer.

Food Pairings: A fish dish with a strong sauce, maybe something like teriyaki salmon.


No comments:

Post a Comment