Monday 9 January 2017

Uus Maailm

Brewery: Põhjala Brewery
Supplier: Beer52

I first had some beers from this brewery when I went to visit Tallinn last year and I was highly impressed with them; since then I've seen them around quite a bit. This is their session IPA (specifically a "San Diego session IPA") using a mix of new world hops (Galaxy and Mosaic). The name means " The New World", don't quite know what the shark represents. I served this chilled.
Appearance: Pale straw with a hint of gold. The head is pure white, but a little thin.
Aroma: A nice wiff of hop resin.
Flavour: Suprisingly a lot of ever so slightly sour grapefruit in the back.
Body: Just super refreshing with a nice medium body. 
Aftertaste: A little waxy notes with some orange juice notes

Overall: Therefore this gets a rating of 4, simple but unusual and not what I was expecting from the smell of it. The notes of orange juice and wax in the back put it off for me.

Price Range: From another case from Beer52 where I got 8 beers for £14 - so £1.75 for a 330ml bottle, a good price but the beer is only average - you can get better for the price range, including from Põhjala Brewery itself.

Food Pairings: Something light, like a salad, but with not too much dressing. Something like a mix of dark leaves with a vinegarette.


No comments:

Post a Comment