Thursday 2 January 2014

Duvel Tripel Hop 2013

Brewery: Duvel Moortgat
Supplier: Beers of Europe

Happy New Year Everyone! Thought I would do one I was planing to do in 2013. Part of their "Tripel Hop" series, where they brew the normal Duvel Recipe but with the addition of a third type of hop (as opposed to the two). For the 2013 series they chose to do this with the Sorachi Ace hop. I probably should have drunk this earlier as hoppy beers are better fresh (in my opinion). I served this slightly chilled, some of the sediment did get mixed up in it as I accidentally turned it a bit.
Appearance: Gold and murky with a thick airy white head that stays. Lots of bubbles.
Aroma: That thick lemon rind nose synonymous with Sorachi Ace, coupled with a bit of a funk.
Flavour: Light on the front with a balanced blend of the Belgian esters you get in Duvel with some lemon rind. A little sourness on the front with drinking, and the malt on the front seems to shine through.
Body: A nice chewiness but maybe not the best fit for this style.
Aftertaste: The Belgian notes are much more dominant in the aftertaste with the lemon fading completely. Some dryness towards the end.

Overall: Therefore this gets a rating of 7, not as hoppy as some Belgian IPAs (or as I would have hoped) but the balance of flavours was good. Dangerously sessionable for its percentage. I could see myself giving an 8 if I had this again. If you let it warm up a little it becomes dryer, and also much more malty and a little more lemony.

Price Range: £3.69 for 330ml bottle, a bit too much for a bottle; I wouldn't get it again but I would definitely get the next years variety.

Food Pairings: A light creamy pasta (not cheesy, although it would still be good with it), the lemon would go well with the cream and the malt with the pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment