Wednesday 12 October 2016

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA

Brewery: Stone Brewing
Supplier: Brewdog Dundee Bottledog

This is from a San Diego based brewery that I had the fortune to visit while I was out there a few years ago, and I'm sure I had this beer whilst I was here. Whilst this is a San Diego based brewery, I think this was brewed in their Berlin based facility. This is one of their regular beers, and is a Belgian style IPA - one of my favourite styles - using Magnum, Centennial & Chinook hops. What I like about this sight is that they have a "fresh for" time, and for this one it is 120 days; as this one was brewed 89 days ago it's well in date. I served this chilled.
Appearance: The colour is slightly more vibrant than the picture suggests. When it's in the glass it has a nice rich, slightly opaque, golden colour; but when pouring it looks more like a livid yellow. The head is a thin pure white head that fades leaving a nice lacing. 
Aroma: There is a nice musky orange note, with a giving a funk reminise of oranges that are turning bad. There are also some of the classic belgian esters. This sounds bad but actually works really well for this beer.
Flavour: Initially a sweet, slightly sugary, malt. This is immediately followed by an intense orange and resin hop note. 
Body: Really full bodied on the front followed by a dry back 
Aftertaste: The hop note seems to develope into a more mature note of dried orange peel, cloves, and a little medicinal note - the hallmark of Belgian beers. There is also a slight underlying sharp sweetness. 

Overall: Therefore this gets a rating of 8, whilst Belgian beers aren't my favourite this was an excellent version of the style. Lots of flavour but really easy to drink.

Price Range: £3.33 (usually £3.50) for a 330ml can, fantastic price.

Food Pairings: A beer like this would cut through fatty foods like cheese so I'm going to pair it with what I had when I visited the brewery - Macaroni and Cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment