Saturday 20 June 2015

Nollaig

Brewery: Williams Bros. Brewing Co.
Supplier: Beers of Europe

I got this one specifically for Christmas (but then forgot about it) as it is made using Spruce sprigs - AKA its a beer that is brewed with Christmas trees! I decided to drink it now as its best before was May 2015 and I'm not sure how well this type of beer ages. Although it is labeled as a Gruit it does actually use hops, they used big American hops Amarillo & Centennial to give a bold flavour that matched that of the spruce. I served this chilled.
Appearance: A dark amber colour; but with no head, just a lingering off-white foam. I thought I had poured this carefully but there are LOTS of dark solid bits.
Aroma: Lots of sugar with some sweet lemon notes
Flavour: Not much on the front but then a syrupy back, there are some notes that are a bit unfamiliar, a bit of a mix of rose oil and orange peel. 
Body: Quite syrupy, a bit too thick, but quite well carbonated. 
Aftertaste: A nice mix of preserved oranges and a hoppy bitterness. 

Overall: Therefore this gets a rating of 4, not bad but a bit too much and a bit too sweet.

Price Range: £2.79 for a 330ml bottle, not a great price for it, I wouldn't get it again.

Food Pairings: Very strong and gamey meats, something like venison, in a rich stew.



No comments:

Post a Comment